Legal 500 U.S. Ranks Oblon, Spivak First For IP Patent Prosecution in 2010
According to the profile in Legal 500 U.S. about the firm and attorneys:
- "Based in Alexandria, Virginia, Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt is just a stone throw away from the headquarters of the USPTO. This proximity is perhaps necessary given the huge volume of patent applications the firm makes each year.
- 2009 was a milestone year in that it obtained 4,115 design and utility patents on behalf of its clients, becoming the first firm to obtain more than 4,000 in a single year.
- The prosecution work covers the full range of sectors, and the firm has been especially active in the field of mechanical inventions. This has included work in the automotive sector on green technologies for the likes of Toyota, while it also represented Airbus on aircraft designs and systems.
- The firm has also done a considerable amount of work on packaging and containers for L’Oréal. Toshiba is another significant client of the firm, which it has been advising on industry standards, such as in MPEG digital data compression, where patent pools are often required.
- The firm acts for a large array of foreign clients, including Arcelor Mittal, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Tokyo Electron and Saint-Gobain. Its strong Tokyo-based affiliate office has also nurtured the firm’s links to major companies in Japan.
- Active partner, Stephen Baxter is hugely experienced on the chemical side.
Published for over 20 years, the Legal 500 Series provides the most comprehensive worldwide coverage currently available on legal services providers in over 90 countries.
Assisting clients for 40 years, Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. is one of the largest intellectual property specialty firms in the United States. The firm provides a full range of intellectual property services, including litigation matters in all courts, as well as trademark, copyright and patent interference services.