Brian Darville chairs the Trademark and Copyright Practice Group at Oblon. He has over two decades of litigation experience in federal courts throughout the U.S. focused primarily on trademark and copyright litigation. He counsels clients regularly on trademark, unfair competition, copyright, and ecommerce legal issues and has experience in all aspects of trademark and copyright prosecution, including clearance opinions, trademark portfolio management, licensing and enforcement. He regularly handles software copyright infringement litigation. Mr. Darville also frequently handles administrative proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Mr. Darville received a B.A. in Economics from the University of Virginia, his law degree (Juris Doctor) from the University of Virginia School of Law, and an LL.M. in Patent and Intellectual Property Law, with Highest Honors, from the George Washington University Law School.
He is admitted to practice before the Virginia State Bar and the District of Columbia Bar. He is also admitted to practice before numerous United States District Courts and United States Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Mr. Darville is a member of the International Trademark Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Copyright Society of the U.S.A., as well as other professional associations.
He speaks and writes frequently on trademark, copyright and ecommerce legal issues.
- University of Virginia (J.D.)
George Washington University Law School
(LL.M., highest honors)
- Patent & Intellectual Property Law
University of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Board of Directors, 2009-2012
- Chair, Trademark Law Committee, 2005-2007
- Vice Chair, Trademark Law Committee, 2004-2005
- Chair, Trademark Internet/Cyberspace Committee, 2002-2004
- Vice Chair, Trademark Internet/Cyberspace Committee, 2001-2002
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Federal Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Membership Committee, Law Firm Subcommittee, 2007-2009
- Editorial Board Member, The Trademark Reporter, 2002-2003
- Internet Law & Business
- Trademark Editor, 2004-Present
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia
- Board of Directors, 2006-2008
- Licensing Executives Society