Vincent (Vince) K. Shier, Ph.D., is a partner in the firm's Chemical Patent Prosecution and Patent Trial and Appeal Board proceedings practice groups.
Dr. Shier holds bachelor’s degrees in Biology and Chemistry. This cross-disciplinary study carried through his graduate studies where he obtained a doctorate degree in Biological Chemistry. Dr. Shier’s research background spans diverse fields, including biochemistry and molecular biology, as well as biophysical, bioanalytical and bioorganic chemistry. Dr. Shier’s technical background uniquely suits him for handling a vast array of technologies.
As a prosecuting attorney, Dr. Shier’s work involves preparing and prosecuting patent applications in diversified technologies within the chemical and biotechnology disciplines. Some of these areas include genetics, molecular biology, therapeutic methods, pharmaceuticals, DNA microarray technology, diagnostics, plants, food products, renewable energies, batteries, plastics, surface materials, minerals and mineral applications, and a diverse array of other chemical products and processes.
An aspect of Dr. Shier’s practice entails client counselling and the development of patent portfolio management strategies for small and emerging companies, as well as large multi-national corporations.
Dr. Shier has also been involved in several litigation matters. As post-grant challenges at the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) have gained popularity, Dr. Shier’s work has also entailed representing clients in contested proceedings at the USPTO both as the patentee and as the patent challenger. This work includes post-grant proceedings available under the America Invents Act, as well as traditional re-examination and reissue practice. In this capacity, he leads the team responsible for post-grant proceedings in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedicine, genetics, molecular biology and pharmaceuticals.
In addition to frequently providing industry insight to clients, attorneys and the chemical industry on post-grant proceedings conducted concurrently with litigation, Dr. Shier also lectures throughout the world on the evolving standards of obviousness and patent-eligible subject matter, as well as providing counsel on patent prosecution strategies in the United States.
Dr. Shier’s work has consistently been recognized in the legal industry for both his patent prosecution expertise and his work in post-grant proceedings. Dr. Shier is also an Adjunct Professor at the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason teaching Patent Law I and Patent Law II.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D.)
Pennsylvania State University
- Biological Chemistry
University of Rochester
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: selected as one of the top eighteen practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings and is a “Recommended” patent attorney in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent prosecution expertise (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Patent Inter Partes Proceedings Committee (Committee 104); Special Committee on Biotechnology, Chemistry, Medicine, and Pharmacology (Committee 160)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Patent Office Practice (U.S.) Committee; Patent Office Inter Partes Proceedings Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)