W. Todd Baker is Chair of the firm’s Post-Grant Patent practice group and is a member of the firm’s Management Committee. With significant experience handling both patent prosecution and post grant proceedings at the USPTO, Mr. Baker frequently advises his clients on alternatives to tradtional litigation-based patent validity challenges.
Mr. Baker is a recognized leader in the IP community, having recently served on the Board of Directors of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA). He curently serves as co-chair of the IP Practice in Japan Committee for AIPLA. Indeed, he was selected as one of the top attorneys in the country for adversarial post-grant proceedings:
Patent interference chair W. Todd Baker is ... extolled. “He develops an intimate understanding of and appreciation for the client’s business position,” enabling him to provide commercially driven advice.
The other honors received by Mr. Baker including his recognition by the Washington Business Journal as a Minority Business Leader can be found in the Accolades section below.
Mr. Baker has extensive experience handling all aspects of post-issuance proceedings at the USPTO including reissue applications, ex parte reexamination, IPR proceedings, and appeals to the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Mr. Baker also advises clients on issues of priority, patentability, derivation, inventorship, and licensing related to patent interference matters before the PTAB.
While focused on his post-grant practice, Mr. Baker also prepares and prosecutes patent applications in diversified electrical and mechanical technologies as a member of the firm’s Electrical and Mechanical Patent Prosecution groups. Among the technologies with which he has worked are automotive related, wireless innovations, medical devices, dynamic control systems, and clean technologies.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D.)
University of Virginia
- Electrical Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; selected as one of the top eighteen practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings and is a “Recommended” patent attorney in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent prosecution expertise (2012 - 2016)
The Legal 500 U.S., recognized as a prominent practitioner (2012)
- Minority Business Leader Award - Washington Business Journal (2011)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Chair, USPTO Inter Partes Patent Proceedings Committee (2008 - 2010), Vice-Chair, Interference Committee (2006 - 2008), Vice-Chair, Diversity in Intellectual Property Committee (2004-2006); Chair, Diversity in Intellectual Property Committee (2011)
- Practicing Law Institute, Co-Chair of Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop 2019, Claim Drafting & Amendment Writing