W. Todd Baker is Chair of the firm’s Post-Grant patent practice group and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He is experienced handling patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings at the USPTO, including all aspects of reissue applications, ex parte reexamination, IPR proceedings and appeals to the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Mr. Baker advises clients on alternatives to traditional litigation-based patent validity challenges, issues of priority, patentability, derivation, inventorship, and licensing related to patent interference matters before the PTAB.
Mr. Baker prepares and prosecutes patent applications in diversified electrical and mechanical technologies, including artificial intelligence (AI), automotive related technologies – such as autonomous vehicles, clean technologies, dynamic control systems, medical devices and wireless innovation.
A recognized leader in the IP community, Mr. Baker has served on the Board of Directors of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), and he currently serves as co-chair of the IP Practice in Japan Committee for AIPLA.
Baker’s honors include award by the Washington Business Journal as a Minority Business Leader (see accolades section below) and selection as one of the top attorneys in the country for adversarial post-grant proceedings:
“Patent interference chair W. Todd Baker is extolled. “He develops an intimate understanding of an appreciation for the client’s business position,” enabling him to provide commercially driven advice.”
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D.)
University of Virginia
- Electrical Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Best Lawyers in America - Patent Law (2020)
- Managing Intellectual Property Magazine named 'IP Star' (2019)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; selected as one of the top eighteen practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings and is a “Recommended” patent attorney in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent prosecution expertise (2012 - 2016, 2019)
The Legal 500 U.S., recognized as a prominent practitioner (2012)
- Minority Business Leader Award - Washington Business Journal (2011)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Chair, USPTO Inter Partes Patent Proceedings Committee (2008 - 2010), Vice-Chair, Interference Committee (2006 - 2008), Vice-Chair, Diversity in Intellectual Property Committee (2004-2006); Chair, Diversity in Intellectual Property Committee (2011)
- Practicing Law Institute, Co-Chair of Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop 2019, Claim Drafting & Amendment Writing