Robert (Rob) C. Mattson chairs the firm’s Litigation Practice Group and is a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He provides strategic counseling on patent issues, with a focus on standards-based and regulated technologies, and tries cases in district court, the ITC, and the USPTO. He was most recently a member of the winning ITC trial team in In re Windscreen Wipers and Components Thereof (337-TA-937).
A skilled trial attorney, he litigates cases involving such diverse technologies as embedded systems, cloud computing, automotive powertrains, smartphones, communications protocols, robotics, and sporting goods. Mr. Mattson regularly advises clients on the interrelationship between district-court and ITC litigation and inter partes review proceedings at the USPTO. Many of his clients are involved in high-stakes litigation and seek to challenge patents at the USPTO to supplement their overall litigation strategy.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Mattson served as a patent examiner at the USPTO where he specialized in speech-signal processing and artificial intelligence, complex technologies impacting multiple industries.
Mr. Mattson speaks regularly on the use of post-grant proceedings as a litigation strategy. He was formerly an adjunct professor for the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich and continues to lecture domestic and international audiences on a variety of litigation-related topics. Additionally, he actively engages in the pro bono representation of defendants in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in coordination with the Federal Public Defender Office.
George Mason University School of Law
- George Mason Law Review
University of Virginia
- Systems Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; recognized in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent Litigation work (2014, 2015, 2016)