J. Derek Mason, Ph.D., CLP, a chemical industry IP attorney and Certified Licensing Professional, is a partner in the Chemical Patent Prosecution practice group, and chair of the IP Transactions practice group. Dr. Mason focuses his practice on patent preparation and prosecution, licensing, intellectual property issues arising in various types of corporate transactions, client counseling and opinions on various intellectual property issues.
A former chemist with a doctorate in organic chemistry, Dr. Mason works with both companies and other law firms, advising on a broad range of intellectual property concerns. He conducts due diligence investigations and risk assessment with respect to intellectual property ownership in corporate mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, he helps both foreign and domestic companies to establish and develop patent portfolios, avoid infringement when launching new products, and formulate and implement procedures to protect their innovations and enhance their use and value.
Dr. Mason represents both international and domestic clients on a wide array of chemical and related technologies including medical and biotech diagnostic devices, polymers, nanotechnology, textiles, petrochemicals, and pharmaceuticals. He also counsels on creative design-around strategies, and the interplay of utility and design patents, trade-secret protection, and litigation avoidance.
Dr. Mason’s thorough understanding of the sciences and technical aspects of his clients’ innovations enables him to skillfully represent their interests. While achieving his doctorate and undergraduate degrees, Dr. Mason studied organometalloid chemistry and conducted research in the area of organic photochemistry, publishing and presenting papers in both of these areas. Prior to entering patent law, he also worked as a chemist for a diversified international chemical company.
- George Washington University National Law Center (J.D.)
University of Wisconsin
- Organic Chemistry
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
(B.S., highest honors)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; recognized in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area (2016, 2017)
- Named to the The World's Leading IP Strategists: IAM Strategy 300 (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Certified Licensing Professional (CLP) (2014), awarded by Certified Licensing Professionals, Inc.
- Phi Beta Kappa (1983)
- Phi Eta Sigma (National Freshman Honor Society) (1980)
- Alpha Chi Sigma (National Chemistry Fraternity) (1982)
- Recognized as the "Best Chemical Industry IP Attorney of the Year - USA" by Global 100 - 2018
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Licensing Executives Society
- Virginia Bar Association