Alexander B. Englehart is an of counsel patent attorney practicing in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He tries cases in U.S. district courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) at the USPTO. He was most recently a member of the winning ITC trial team in Certain Windshield Wipers and Components Thereof (ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-928/937) and the winning team before the PTAB in IPR2015-01605, IPR2015-01622, and IPR2015-01628.
A skilled trial attorney, Mr. Englehart litigates cases involving such diverse technologies as mobile software security, wireless networking, sporting goods, automotive parts, metallurgy, and cosmetics. Mr. Englehart also advises clients on the interrelationship between district court, ITC, and post-grant proceedings at the USPTO – his cases often involve high-stakes litigation in conjunction with PTAB proceedings. He also has experience using patent-enforcement procedures at U.S. trade shows, and can provide tailored advice on which enforcement procedures are most suitable given a particular client’s objectives.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Englehart served as a judicial extern with Judge Randall Rader at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and with Magistrate Judge Bernard Zimmerman at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- University of Washington School of Law (J.D.)
University of California, Berkeley
- Computer Science and Math
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Managing Intellectual Property Magazine named "Rising Star" (2019)
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)