Yin Y. Nelson, Ph.D., is a technical advisor in the firm’s Chemical Patent Prosecution group, focusing on patent preparation and prosecution for domestic and international clients. Her expertise covers a wide array of technical areas, including pharmaceuticals (small molecules and biologics), organic synthesis, chemical products, chemical processes, medical devices, polymers and nanomaterials.
Prior to joining the firm in 2017, Dr. Nelson worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at American Dental Association (ADA) Foundation to develop next-generation dental resin composites with enhanced properties. Her broad research experiences ranged from polymerization kinetics studies to antimicrobial agent formulations.
Dr. Nelson obtained her doctoral degree in chemistry at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. There, she synthesized a series of solid-state fluorophores, evaluated their photophysical properties, and conducted quantitative crystallographic analysis. She also discovered a family of Azo-type complexes that can be switched between trans and cis configurations using near infrared or visible light.
Dr. Nelson has published as a leading author in many peer-reviewed publications, all within high-impact scientific journals. She is also a named co-inventor on two patents that resulted from her research.
- Dartmouth College (Ph.D.)
- East China University of Science and Technology (B.E.)
- Pharmaceutical Engineering
- American Chemical Society, member, 2012-present
- Dartmouth Graduate Studies Graduate Travel Award, 2013
- Jiang Hualiang Scholarship, 2006
- Yang, Y.; Urbas, A.; Gonzalez, A. M.; Sheridan, R. J.; Beers, K. L.; Sun, J. “A Composition-controlled Cross-linking Resin Network through Rapid Visible-light Photo-copolymerization” Polymer Chem. 2016, 7, 5023-5030.
- Gonzalez, A. M.; Kaufman, G.; Yang, Y.; Huyang, G.; Bowen, R. L.; Sun, J. “Synthesis and Characterization of Monomers of Dental Composite with Enhanced Service Life” Biomacromolecules 2015, 16, 3381-3388.
This paper was reported by Chemical & Engineering News, Oct 12, 2015.
- Yang, Y.; Hughes, R. P.; Aprahamian, I. “Near-Infrared Light Activated Azo-BF2 Switches” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 13190-13193.
- Yang, Y.; Hughes, R. P.; Aprahamian, I. “Visible Light Switching of a BF2-Coordinated Azo Compound” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 15221-15224.
This paper was highlighted in Chemical & Engineering News, Sep 17, 2012.
- Yang, Y.; Su, X.; Carroll, C.; Aprahamian, I. “Aggregation Induced Emission in BF2-Hydrazone (BODIHY) Complexes” Chem. Sci. 2012, 3, 610-613.
This paper was highlighted by ACS Noteworthy Chemistry (Jan 23, 2012) and ranked top 10 most accessed papers in November 2011.
- Yang, Y.; Sun, J. “Visible Light Induced Photo-polymerization: Well Controlled Chemistry and Broad Applications”, NIH/NIDCR U01 Grant Meeting, July 13th, 2016, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Yang, Y.; Sun, J. “Novel Dental Composite Restorative Systems with Improved Service Life”, Annual ADA Foundation Board Meeting, May 4th, 2016, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Yang, Y.; Urbas, A.; Gonzalez, A. M.; Sheridan, R. J.; Beers, K. L.; Sun, J. “Rapid Photo-polymerization of Vinylbenzylether Derivatives for Dental Applications”, 45th American Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting, March 19th, 2016, Los Angeles, CA.
- Yang, Y.; Urbas, A.; Gonzalez, A. M.; Sheridan, R. J.; Beers, K. L.; Sun, J. “Rapid Photo-copolymerization of Styrene Derivatives and Methacrylate Derivatives”, 251th American Chemistry Society National Meeting, March 16th, 2016, San Diego, CA.
- Yang, Y.; Aprahamian, I.; Hughes, R. P. “A Visible Light Switchable Azo-BF2 Compound”, 245th American Chemistry Society National Meeting, April 7th, 2013, New Orleans, LA.