Stephen (Steve) G. Kunin serves on the firm’s Management Committee as General Counsel representing clients in post-grant patent proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He also serves as an expert witness and consultant on patent policy, practice and procedure.
With more than three decades of experience within the USPTO, Mr. Kunin was responsible for promulgating many of the rules with which his clients must now comply, making him a highly sought-after patent consultant and authority on the office’s inner workings. Companies and law firms seek out his expertise when faced with complex patent policy matters, such as when requesting Congress to change patent laws or the USPTO to change patent rules. He has testified as an expert witness by report, deposition or at trial on patent examination policy, practice and procedure in more than 80 cases.
During his tenure at the USPTO, Mr. Kunin served in many executive positions, including - during his final 10 years - as Deputy Commissioner for Patent Examination Policy. He actively participated in the establishment of patent policy, including changes in patent examination guidelines, revision of the rules of practice and procedure, establishment of examining priorities, classification of technological arts, and, in particular, the reexamination and reissue rules and procedures. Additionally, he oversaw the revisions to Manual of Patent Examining Procedure, including the chapters covering reissue, ex parte reexamination, and optional inter partes reexamination.
Mr. Kunin is knowledgeable in all aspects of USPTO post-issuance proceedings, including both ex parte and post-grant administrative trials, many taking place concurrently with complex litigation and appeals to the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Mr. Kunin is highly skilled in the strategic and tactical use of reexamination to help clients avoid the high cost of patent litigation. He is also experienced in using patent reissue as a means for correcting latent defects in issued patents.
Mr. Kunin received numerous awards during his career at the USPTO, including four Gold Medals, four Silver Medals and a Bronze medal from the Department of Commerce, a USPTO Career Achievement Award, and the Vice President's Reinventing Government Hammer Award. He was named by Intellectual Property Today magazine as one of the most influential people in IP law, and was the recipient of the Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award.
He is frequently sought out to lecture to external groups on reexamination, reissue and USPTO patent practice. He also served from 2005-2017 as the J.D. and L.L.M. Intellectual Property Program Director at the Antonin Scalia School of Law at George Mason University where he taught patent law and intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets) law courses.
Mr. Kunin serves as a member of the IPO Post-Grant Proceedings Committee as well as AIPLA and ABA Committees.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors)
- Washington University (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Senior Managers in Government Program
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Utility Patent Procurement & Prosecution
- Trademark & Designs
- IP Transactions
- PTAB Proceedings
- Counseling & Strategic Advice
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Patent Cooperation Treaty Committee, Vice-Chair (2011 - present), Industry Trilateral Working Group member (2008 - present), Quarterly Law Journal, Editorial Board Member (2005 - 2007)
- The Center for the Advanced Studies and Research on Intellectual Property at the University of Washington’s School of Law in Seattle, Washington, Advisory Committee Member (2005 - present)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Patent Office Practice (U.S.) Committee (2005 - 2008); U.S. Patent Law Committee, Member (2011 - current)
- Community Patent Review, Advisory Board member (2008 - present)
- IP Law360, Editorial Advisory Board (2010)
- Licensing Executives Society
- Patent and Trademark Office Society
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court
- Managing IP Magazine- named 'IP Star' (2013 - 2018)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; selected as one of the top practitioners in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area (2016)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Fellow (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America (2010 - 2018), named among the best in Intellectual Property Law
- Chambers USA, Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property) (2008, 2012-2018)
- The Legal 500 U.S., recognized as one of the top Patent Lawyers (2011 - 2012, 2015)
- Top Patent Prosecutor, Patent Research Review (2011)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners,named to its list of the top patent prosecution attorneys in the world; selected as one of the top practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings (2012-2015)
- Department of Commerce, Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals
- USPTO Career Achievement Award
- Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
- Vice President's Reinventing Government Hammer Award
- Recognized as one of the most influential people in IP law, Intellectual Property Today magazine (2001)
- Named one of the most inspiring regulators in the federal government, Global Counsel (Feb. 2002)
- IPO Leadership Award (Dec. 2004)
- 34th Annual Dr. Joseph Rossman Memorial Award 2007, for “an article that made the greatest contribution to the field of Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights” (co-authored with Bradley Lytle, July 2005 – June 2006)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in Intellectual Property Law (2010, 2011); Patent Law (2011)
- Washington D.C.'s Best Lawyer's List (2010)
- Recognized as “Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year – USA” by Finance Monthly Law Awards 2018
- Lawyer Monthly – Expert Witness 2018 Award in in recognition of specialized knowledge and experience within the area of Intellectual Property