Stephen (Steve) G. Baxter, Ph.D., a member of the Firm's management committee, is a partner in the firm's Chemical Patent Prosecution and Litigation practice groups. His practice includes all phases of patent prosecution, including the preparation of patent applications, patent litigation in federal district court, client counseling, and due diligence. He is also experienced in § 337 actions at the International Trade Commission.
Formerly an Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Tufts University, with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry, Dr. Baxter possesses a deep understanding of the science underlying his clients’ innovations. He is especially skilled in the prosecution and litigation of a wide range of chemical and pharmaceutical patents and represents numerous large chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
With years of experience both litigating and prosecuting patents, Dr. Baxter readily identifies the points of attack that make a patent vulnerable, crafting patents to avoid later challenges. A skilled strategist, Dr. Baxter advises his clients on patent portfolio management and optimization, patentability, and interference issues.
Dr. Baxter has been an invited lecturer at the MAS program at ETH in Zurich, Switzerland, and many chemical and pharmaceutical companies. He has also published nearly 20 scientific articles in areas such as heterocyclic chemistry and stereochemistry.
- Georgetown University Law School (J.D.)
- Princeton University (Ph.D.)
- Organic Chemistry
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (B.S.)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Virginia Bar Association
- artindale-Hubbell, Rated 2.9 out of 5.0
- The Legal 500 U.S., recognized for his wide-ranging chemical patent prosecution experience (2008 - 2012, 2015)
- Top Patent Prosecutor, Patent Research Review (2011)