Scott A. McKeown is a member of the firm's Management Committee, and chairs the Post-Grant Patent practice group focusing on post-grant counseling, litigation and related prosecution issues. He leads the Post-Grant Patent team responsible for electronics, wireless communications, software and computer-related inventions and business methods. Managing Intellectual Property Magazine has awarded the Group 2016 “PTAB Firm of the Year.”
Mr. McKeown handles all aspects of post-issuance patent proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He specializes in administrative trials before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB) as well as appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC). Having successfully navigated USPTO post-grant patent proceedings in which more than half a billion dollars was at stake, he is lead post- grant counsel to some of the world’s most well-known innovators. He provides his clients comprehensive post-grant patent counseling including advice on USPTO post-grant proceedings concurrent with complex International Trade Commission (ITC) and district court litigations.
The National Law Journal has identified Mr. McKeown as one of their 50 “Trailblazers & Pioneers” in the area of intellectual property law. Intellectual Asset Management has identified him as a “thought leader” and one of the world’s leading patent practitioners for adversarial post-grant USPTO patent proceedings. Managing Intellectual Property Magazine has named Mr. McKeown their 2015 “PTAB Litigator of the Year.” Chambers USA, selected Mr. Mckeown as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property). Mr. McKeown has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America, and the Legal 500 has honored him as a recommended patent attorney.
Mr. McKeown is a Professorial Lecturer in Law at the George Washington University Law School. He also is the editor of the well-known legal blog PatentsPostGrant.com. He lectures and writes extensively on post-grant patent proceedings at the USPTO and is also a member of the teaching faculty of the Practicing Law Institute (PLI). Mr. McKeown is the past Chair of the American Bar Association (ABA), Intellectual Property Law Section Committee 104 (Post Grant USPTO Proceedings).
A former electrical engineer, he has worked with a wide range of technologies, including computer software, wireless telecommunication protocols and network architectures, e-commerce applications, analog and digital signal processing, and consumer electronics. In the telecommunication arts, Mr. McKeown has worked extensively with IP routing and signaling protocols, ATM and wireless communication protocols. He also has a broad breadth of experience with OFDM systems, CDMA, TDMA, FSK, QAM and the 802.11 family of protocols.
In the consumer electronic arts, Mr. McKeown's practice has a strong focus in audio and video processing and display technologies, discs, signal compression and encoding schemes, recording medium formatting and construction, and many other related technologies.
- Temple University School of Law (J.D.)
- Temple University (B.S., with honors)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office/Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Managing IP Magazine- PTAB Litigator of the Year (2015)
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation- Intellectual Property (2015, 2017)
- The National Law Journal, IP Trailblazers & Pioneers (2014)
- Managing IP Magazine- named 'IP Star' (2013 - 2015)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, named to Intellectual Asset Management Magazine’s list of the top 1000 patent prosecution attorneys in the world and selected as one of the top eighteen practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings (2012-2016)
- Chambers USA, selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property)”
- The Legal 500 U.S., noted as a Recommended Attorney (2012, 2015)