Scott A. McKeown chairs the PTAB practice group focusing on post-grant patent counseling, litigation and related prosecution issues. He leads the Post-Grant Patent team responsible for electronics, wireless communications, software and computer-related inventions and business methods. Managing Intellectual Property Magazine has named his team “PTAB Firm of the Year” for 2016 and Scott its Virginia "Litigator of the Year" for 2017. Prior to that, Scott was named the very first “PTAB Litigator of the Year” in 2015. To date, Scott has represented more parties in Inter Partes Review (IPR) than any other attorney in the United States.
Scott handles all aspects of post-issuance patent proceedings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB). He specializes in administrative trials before the PTAB as well as appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC). Having successfully navigated USPTO post-grant patent proceedings in which more than half a billion dollars was at stake, he is lead post- grant counsel to some of the world’s most well-known innovators. He provides his clients comprehensive post-grant patent counseling including advice on USPTO post-grant proceedings concurrent with complex International Trade Commission (ITC) and district court litigations.
The National Law Journal has identified Mr. McKeown as one of their 50 “Trailblazers & Pioneers” in the area of intellectual property law. Intellectual Asset Management has identified him as a “thought leader” and one of the world’s leading patent practitioners for adversarial post-grant USPTO patent proceedings. Chambers USA, selected Mr. Mckeown as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property). Mr. McKeown has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America, and the Legal 500 has honored him as a recommended patent attorney.
Mr. McKeown is a Professorial Lecturer in Law at the George Washington University Law School. He also is the editor of the well-known legal blog PatentsPostGrant.com. He lectures and writes extensively on post-grant patent proceedings at the USPTO and is also a member of the teaching faculty of the Practicing Law Institute (PLI). Mr. McKeown is the past Chair of the American Bar Association (ABA), Intellectual Property Law Section Committee 104 (Post Grant USPTO Proceedings). He currently sits on the Board of Directors of the PTAB Bar Association. He is also a member and contributing editor to the Sedona Conference Working Group 10: Patent Litigation Best Practices.
A former electrical engineer, he has worked with a wide range of technologies, including computer software, wireless telecommunication protocols and network architectures, e-commerce applications, analog and digital signal processing, and consumer electronics. In the telecommunication arts, Mr. McKeown has worked extensively with IP routing and signaling protocols, ATM and wireless communication protocols. He also has a broad breadth of experience with OFDM systems, CDMA, TDMA, FSK, QAM and the 802.11 family of protocols.
In the consumer electronic arts, Mr. McKeown's practice has a strong focus in audio and video processing and display technologies, discs, signal compression and encoding schemes, recording medium formatting and construction, and many other related technologies.
- Temple University School of Law (J.D.)
- Temple University (B.S., with honors)
- Electrical Engineering
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office/Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- PTAB Bar Association, named to the Board of Directors
- Managing IP Magazine- PTAB Litigator of the Year (2015)
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation- Intellectual Property (2015, 2017)
- The National Law Journal, IP Trailblazers & Pioneers (2014)
- Managing IP Magazine- named 'IP Star' (2013 - 2015)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, named to Intellectual Asset Management Magazine’s list of the top 1000 patent prosecution attorneys in the world and selected as one of the top eighteen practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings (2012-2016)
- Chambers USA, selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property)”
- The Legal 500 U.S., noted as a Recommended Attorney (2012, 2015)
- Managing IP Magazine- PTAB"Firm of the Year(2016)
- Managing IP Magazine- Virginia "Litigator of the Year "(2017)
- The National Law Journal has identified Mr. McKeown as one of their 50 “Trailblazers & Pioneers” in the area of intellectual property law.
- IPLaw360 has named him a Legal Lion.