Rola Aylo, Ph.D. is a patent agent in the firm’s Electrical Patent Prosecution practice group where she is involved in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications for domestic and international clients. Dr. Aylo has experience drafting applications in the fields of electro-optic devices, semiconductor devices, optical and lighting systems, automotive technologies, etch systems, and renewable energy systems including battery management systems and energy storage devices. Further, Dr. Aylo has experience in drafting applications and claims while anticipating complex legal issues, such as 35 U.S.C. 101 challenges.
Prior to joining the firm, Dr. Aylo worked as a research associate at the University of Dayton where she worked on two dimensional and three dimensional imaging systems using digital holography as part of Phase I and Phase II Army sponsored SBIR projects. Dr. Aylo worked in the areas of optical design, metamaterial applications to sensors technology, and nanoparticle dispersed liquid crystal cell fabrication and characterization for super-resolution imaging which was part of a Phase I and Phase II DARPA sponsored project from 2009-2012.
Dr. Aylo has written several technical proposals, refereed journal papers and done technical presentations in several international conferences. In addition, Dr. Aylo has taught several courses at the University of Dayton and the Catholic University of America including electro-optical devices and systems, signals and systems, engineering innovation and electronics.
- University of Dayton (Ph.D.)
- Electrical Engineering
- American University of Beirut (M.S.)
- Computer Engineering
- Notre Dame University, Lebanon (B.E.)
- Computer & Communication Engineering
- The Optical Society (OSA), Member
- SPIE Newport Spectra Physics Research Excellence Travel Award (2009)
- The Dayton Area Graduate Studies Institute (DAGSI) Scholarship (2008-2009)
- University of Dayton Graduate Student Summer Fellowship (2007)
- University of Dayton Innovation Incentive Graduate Research Assistantships (2007)
- G. Nehmetallah, R. Aylo, P. Powers, A. Sarangan, J. Gao, H. Li , A. Achari and P.P. Banerjee," Negative Index Metamaterial at Visible Wavelengths from Co-sputtered SiC+Ag nanomixtures," Opt. Express, 20, 7095-7100 (2012).
- G. Nehmetallah, R. Aylo, and P. P. Banerjee, “Binary and core-shell nanoparticle dispersed liquid crystal cells for metamaterial applications,” J. of Nanophotonics 5 051603 (2011).
- R. Aylo and P. P. Banerjee, “Modeling propagation in negative index media using causal complex dispersion relations”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 27, 1583-1588 (2010).
- R. Aylo, P. P. Banerjee and G. Nehmetallah, “Perturbed Multilayered Structures of Positive and Negative Index Materials” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 27, 599-604 (2010).
- P. P. Banerjee, R. Aylo, and G. Nehmetallah, “Baseband envelope propagation in media modeled by a class of complex dispersion relations”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 25, 990-994 (2008).
- R. Aylo and K. Kabalan, “An Investigation of the Wideband Properties of Resistively-Loaded Conical-Cylindrical V-Shaped Antenna”, Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters IEEE 7, 298-301(2008).
- Rola Aylo, Partha P. Banerjee, Sergei A. Basun, Dean R. Evans, “Contribution of Diffusion and Photovoltaic effect to self-pumped reflection gratings in Photorefractive Lithium Niobate.” Proc. SPIE 8847, August (2013).
- G. Nehmetallah, R. Aylo, P. P. Banerjee, “Application of the Complex Poynting Theorem to Metamaterial Multilayered nanostructures,” Proc. SPIE 8465-13, August (2012).
- Han Li , R. Aylo, P. P. Banerjee, G. Nehmetallah, “Application of the transfer matrix method to reflection gratings in positive and negative index materials,” Proc. SPIE 8497-14, August (2012).
- P. P. Banerjee , R. Aylo, G. Nehmetallah, H. Li , A. Sarangan, P. Powers, "Binary nanoparticle dispersed metamaterial implementation and characterization," Proc. SPIE 8268-4, San Francisco, California (2012).
- G. Nehmetallah, P. P. Banerjee, R. Aylo and S. Rogers, “Nanoparticle-disperse metamaterial sensors for adaptive coded aperture imaging applications”, Proc. SPIE, 8165, 81651G (2011)
- P. P. Banerjee, H. Li, R. Aylo and G. Nehmetallah, “Transfer matrix approach to propagation of angular plane wave spectra through metamaterial multilayer structures,” Proc. SPIE 8093, 80930P (2011).
- R. Aylo, P. P. Banerjee, G. Nehmetallah, “Tunable metamaterial binary nano-particle dispersed liquid crystal cells,” Proc. SPIE 7754, 775409 (2010).
- A. K. Ghosh, P. Verma, P. P. Banerjee, R. Aylo, “Propagation of a Gaussian beam in a metamaterial based sensor,” Proc. SPIE 7754, 775415 (2010).
- R. Aylo, P.P. Banerjee, A.K. Ghosh and P. Verma, “Design of metamaterial based photonic sensors for pressure measurement” Proc. SPIE, 7604, 760412 (2010).
- R. Aylo, P.P. Banerjee and G. Nehmetallah, “Perturbation of multilayered structures of positive and negative indematerials”, Proc. SPIE 7392, 73921Q (2009).
- R. Aylo, P.P. Banerjee and G. Nehmetallah, “Optical propagation through a homogeneous mixture of positive and negative index materials”, Proc. SPIE 7029, 702917 (2008).
- R. Aylo and K. Kabalan, “An investigation of the wideband properties of a resistively-loaded V-Shaped conical antenna”, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (2008).
- P.P. Banerjee, G.T. Nehmetallah, R. Aylo, and P. Buranasiri, “Dispersion relations for negative index materials and slow light,” Proc. SPIE, 6698, 66980M (2007). (Invited Paper).