Robert (Rob) C. Mattson is a member of the firm’s Management Committee, chairs the firm’s Litigation Practice Group, and specializes in adversarial proceedings before the USPTO and district courts of the United States. The majority of his work is for high-tech and telecommunications companies, particularly companies that rely heavily on standards-based or standardized technologies.
A skilled IP litigation attorney, he argues cases involving such diverse technologies as embedded systems, cloud computing, automotive technologies, smartphones, communications protocols, robotics, and sporting goods. Mr. Mattson regularly practices at the confluence of district court litigation and trial proceedings at the USPTO, including the new inter partes review trials. Many of his clients are involved in concurrent, high-stakes litigation and seek to challenge patents at the USPTO to supplement their overall litigation strategy.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Mattson served as a patent examiner at the USPTO where he specialized in speech-signal processing and artificial intelligence, complex technologies impacting multiple industries. He regularly returns to the USPTO as a member of The Pauline Newman IP American Inn of Court, which is hosted on the Alexandria, Virginia campus.
Mr. Mattson speaks regularly on the use of post-grant proceedings as a litigation strategy. He was formerly an adjunct professor for the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich and continues to lecture domestic and international audiences on a variety of litigation-related topics. Additionally, he actively engages in the pro bono representation of defendants in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in coordination with the Federal Public Defender Office.
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D.)
- George Mason Law Review
- University of Virginia (B.S.)
- Systems Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, named to its list of the top 1000 patent attorneys in the world; recognized in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent Litigation work (2014, 2015, 2016)