Mechanical Patent Prosecution
Oblon’s Mechanical Patent Prosecution team files more than 1,000 mechanical patent applications per year and boasts an impressive team of attorneys, including attorneys with experience as engineers in industry, scientists and inventors. In addition, many of the group’s attorneys are former Patent Examiners with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), bringing an insider’s perspective on USPTO policies, processes and procedures, and a solid working relationship with the USPTO staff. Combining technical know-how with legal savvy and scientific knowledge, we quickly grasp the complexities of our clients’ innovations to effectively and cost-efficiently assert their interests before the USPTO.
Our mechanical patent prosecution attorneys collaborate with litigators, reexamination and reissue attorneys, and other firm members, and thus have a broad range of experience, which they apply when advising clients on developing effective counseling and patent protection strategies.
We represent a broad range of international and domestic clients on global protection and enforcement strategies throughout Europe, Asia and in the United States. Our attorneys help overseas clients develop stronger patents and intellectual property defense capabilities to be on an equal footing with U.S. companies when selling products in the United States. Several members of our team speak multiple languages, including French, German and Japanese, facilitating effective communication with our clients around the globe.
Our Technical Capabilities
Much of our work involves highly complex technical subject matter, including automotive technologies (transmissions, engine controls, brakes, pumps, compressors, and vehicle steering and control systems), alternative energy or “green” technologies, aircraft designs/systems, aircraft parts and engines, and multimillion-dollar semiconductor manufacturing equipment. We also provide patent protection for a full range of consumer products, computers, hardware, software, and systems integration technologies, videoconferencing equipment and technologies, digital communications, telecommunications devices, heavy machinery, manufacturing equipment, robotics, optical disc systems, medical imaging and other devices, automated assembly lines and machinery, energy technologies, power plant technology, machine tools, and office equipment.
Our mechanical patent services include:
- Drafting and prosecuting the full range of mechanical patent applications
- Handling expedited and accelerated patent prosecutions through programs such as the Patent Prosecution Highway, Pre-First Action Interview, Green Technology Pilot Programs and informal methods
- Conducting patentability studies
- Obtaining patents that read on industry standards
- Providing patent enforcement and litigation support
- Developing strategies to maximize the value of client patent portfolios
- Counseling clients regarding infringement, invalidity and enforcement
- Assisting clients in identifying and prioritizing patentable inventions
- Counseling clients on licensing options and methods to strategically protect products and devices
- Studying client technologies in order to discover and establish procedures to protect their IP capital
- Identifying applications, advising clients on how they can use their innovations beyond their originally intended purpose
- Working with clients to create a network of patents to cover their particular technologies and uses
We take a hands-on approach with clients, visiting them regularly to enhance communication and familiarize ourselves with their businesses, innovations and goals in order to gain insights to help clients develop strategies to protect their intellectual property, optimize its value, and outstrip their competition. We also actively work with client trainees in our U.S. office in order to assist their professional development and guide them through the complexities of the U.S. legal system.
Strategically located adjacent to the USPTO, our attorneys meet daily with USPTO Patent Examiners to represent our clients’ interests and assert their patent protection rights. These meetings are an important strategy and critical component of our unparalleled level of success.
Our in-depth knowledge of technologies, extensive patent experience and strategic location near the USPTO enable us to provide cost-effective service. Additionally, we manage our client costs with effective staffing, a streamlined filing process, and an electronic filing system that improves efficiency and provides our clients with up-to-date information through our secure extranet site.
- 1 of 2
Our group believes that successful mechanical patent prosecution requires not only intimate knowledge of USPTO practice, but also how patents are handled after issuance, in litigation, negotiations, and design-around activities.
Our in-depth knowledge of technologies, extensive patent experience, and strategic location near the USPTO enable us to provide cost-effective service.
The success of our Mechanical Patent Prosecution group is recognized by the fact that many of our clients have selected us as their primary patent prosecution firm.