Philippe Signore, Ph.D., is a member of the firm’s Management Committee and manages the firm's Electrical and Mechanical Patent Prosecution group. Additionally, Dr. Signore is a partner in the IP Litigation practice group, the Opinions and Counseling practice group and the Industrial Designs practice group.
Dr. Signore’s practice includes counseling clients about patent strategies, drafting legal opinions, conducting I.P. due diligence, handling post-grant proceedings, managing patent portfolios, and advising clients on patent litigation. In counseling clients, he seeks to match their business needs to the legal tools available.
Dr. Signore’s technical experience covers various industries including aerospace, semiconductors, optical systems, medical devices, automotive, energy, oil and gas, consumer electronics, computer hardware, software, and packaging. He studied solid state physics, including superconductivity, semiconductors and magnetic materials while achieving a Ph.D. in Physics. He is bilingual in English and French.
He is an Adjunct Professor at the George Mason School of Law, where he teaches patent law. He also serves as a faculty member at the Center for International Intellectual Property Studies (CEIPI) in Strasbourg, France. Dr. Signore lectures regularly on U.S. patent law for various associations in the U.S., Asia, and Europe. For example he previously presented at the Patent Law Institute (PLI), at the ABA IPL Annual meeting, at the Japanese Intellectual Property Association (JIPA), at the French Association of In-House Patent Specialists (ASPI), Groupe Rhône-Alpes de l’AIPPI (GRAPI), at the European-American Chamber of Commerce (EACC), at China’s State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO – Tianjin branch), and at the Swiss Romande Association of IP (AROPI).
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- University of Florida (Ph.D.)
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (B.S.)
- District of Columbia
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia Superior Court
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Counseling & Strategic Advice
- PTAB Proceedings
- IP Transactions
- Utility Patent Procurement & Prosecution
- Trademark & Designs
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Physical Society
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, named to Intellectual Asset Management Magazine’s list of the top 1000 patent prosecution attorneys in the world (2016)
- e Legal 500 U.S., noted as a Recommended Attorney (2015)
- Super Lawyers, Virginia Rising Stars (2008, 2011)
- Recipient, 30th Annual Rossman Award as the author of the article in the Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society "that made the greatest contribution to the fields of Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights" (2002)
- Recipient, Scott Memorial Award for Most Outstanding Experimental Physics Doctoral Graduate (1994)