IAM Patent 1000 Touts Oblon Spivak as Top Patent Firm; Partners Identified Across IP Spectrum as Leading Practitioners
For Immediate Release
June 14, 2012
Alexandria, Va. -- Intellectual property law firm Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. has been identified as a “Recommended” Patent Prosecution Firm in the National category of the 2012 edition of Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000, a guide to the world’s leading patent firms and professionals. This is the highest level a firm can achieve and Oblon Spivak is one of only twelve firms achieving such recognition in the country.
The firm was identified across multiple categories for their prosecution and litigation related representations. In the National - International Trade Commission (ITC) category, Thomas J. Fisher was highlighted for his work, while the firm dominated in the National - Post Grant Procedures category— Oblon is home to 5 of the 18 recommended post grant practitioners; more than double the number of any other U.S. law firm. Honorees include: W. Todd Baker, Greg H. Gardella, Charles L. Gholz, Stephen G. Kunin, and Scott A. McKeown.
In the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area, the firm is recognized as “Highly Recommended” for its patent prosecution work. Bradley D. Lytle and W. Todd Baker are “Recommended” patent attorneys in the region. In addition to his ITC practice recognition, Thomas J. Fisher is separately recognized for his patent litigation work, while W. Todd Baker, Greg H. Gardella, Charles L. Gholz, Stephen G. Kunin, Bradley D. Lytle and Scott A. McKeown are also recommended for their patent prosecution expertise.
According to IAM Patent 1000:
- Oblon Spivak McClelland Maier & Neustadt “provides the right advice at the appropriate moment and finds a way to achieve the client’s business goals.’ Rapid response times and 24-hour availability also garner it much admiration. Cutting-edge expertise on re-examinations and interferences distinguish it from competitors, and ‘through brilliant moves and subtle manipulation, it is able to bring about fantastic results.”
IAM Patent 1000 notes the following attorneys:
- Charles L. Gholz is “one of the very best on interferences,” his core area of specialization. “His advice represents excellent value for money and his industry knowledge is outstanding.”
- Stephen G. Kunin, who chairs the post-grant proceedings group, has held various executive positions in the USPTO and is regarded as a guru who has played an influential role in shaping patent policy in the United States.
- Patent interference chair W. Todd Baker is also extolled. “He develops an intimate understanding of and appreciation for the client’s business position,” enabling him to provide commercially driven advice.
- Greg H. Gardella is another prominent member of the post-grant prosecution group. His former big-ticket patent litigation experience has served him well in contested re-examination proceedings, of which he is regarded a master.
- Scott McKeown is equally a “thought leader” on all aspects of post-issuance proceedings.
- Electrical patent prosecution specialist and current managing partner Bradley D. Lytle “drafts applications that are written well from both a technical and legal standpoint,” and adds immense value by “preparing patent applications which will be enforceable.”
- Although best known for prosecution, the firm has steadily built up a strong reputation in patent litigation. Heading the ITC litigation practice is Thomas J. Fisher , who has “both legal know-how and pure litigation skills in abundance.”
The IAM Patent 1000 is a new guide for in-house counsel exclusively dedicated to identifying the world’s leading patent legal services providers. For over five months, IAM conducted almost 1,000 telephone interviews with numerous attorneys at law, patent attorneys and in-house counsel to gather market intelligence on the leading players in the field. Individuals qualify for a listing in the IAM Patent 1000 when they receive sufficient positive feedback from peers and clients with knowledge of their practice and the market within which they operate. Only those individuals identified by market sources for their exceptional skill sets and profound insights into patent litigation feature in the IAM Patent 1000. http://www.iam-magazine.com/patent1000/
Assisting clients for over 40 years, Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. is one of the largest intellectual property specialty firms in the United States. The firm provides a full range of intellectual property services, including litigation matters in all courts, as well as trademark, copyright and patent interference services.