Kevin B. Laurence is a partner in the firm’s Post-Grant Patent practice group. He represents patent owners and challengers in high stakes post-grant proceedings at the USPTO and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He is experienced with all aspects of review proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, reexaminations, and reissues.
He has been consistently recognized as one of the top practitioners in the country for post-grant proceedings by Intellectual Asset Management. He has also received consistent recognition from prominent rankings such as Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, and Managing Intellectual Property.
Mr. Laurence teaches a course as an adjunct professor at the George Washington University Law School on USPTO post-grant proceedings. He has also served as an instructor for Patent Resources Group since 2009 in courses on post-grant proceedings and co-authors a two-volume treatise titled Post-Grant Patent Practice provided in conjunction with the courses. He has co-authored over 40 articles for Intellectual Property Today magazine on post-grant patent topics. He has served as vice chair of Intellectual Property Owners Association’s U.S. Post-Grant Patent Office Practice committee since 2012.
In addition to post-grant topics, he has lectured and taught extensively on other aspects of patent practice. He taught courses titled "Biotechnology and Chemical Patent Law" and "International Intellectual Property Law" as an adjunct professor at the University of Utah’s S.J. Quinney College of Law during 2003-2008 and "Intellectual Property Law" at Brigham Young University’s J. Reuben Clark Law School in 2004. Prior to joining Oblon in 2013, Mr. Laurence was a partner at Stoel Rives LLP where he founded the patent practice in their Salt Lake City office in 2001.
Mr. Laurence has 23 years of experience providing patent-related services involving the life sciences, especially pharmaceuticals and medical devices, chemical fields, and other technologies. In addition to his contested proceedings practice, he focuses on all phases of patent procurement, portfolio management, preparation of non-infringement and invalidity opinions, product clearance analysis, due diligence evaluations, pre-litigation evaluations, strategic counseling for asserting patent rights or responding to patent infringement allegations, licensing, and serving as an expert witness.
- J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University (J.D.)
- Brigham Young University (B.A.)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Vice Chair, Committee on U.S. Post-Grant Patent Practice (2012-2015)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member, USPTO Inter Partes Proceedings (2010-2015), Chemical Practice Committee (2004-2015)
- US Bar - EPO Liaison Council (2008-2015)
Intellectual Asset Management's IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners: selected as one of the top practitioners in the United States for post-grant proceedings (2012-2015) and as a "recommended" patent attorney in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area for his patent prosecution expertise (2013-2015)
IAM Patent 1000's commentary:
- 2015 – "Few do more extracurricular work for the benefit of the post-grant community than Kevin Laurence, a prolific author and teacher."
- 2014 - "The hire of Kevin Laurence was a great move, further insulating the firm from competitors in this [post-grant] practice area."
- 2013 - "leading reexam buff"
- 2012 - "Both academically and in practice, Kevin Laurence is among a small handful of leading reexamination experts in the United States."
Best Lawyers in America® (Patent Law) (2007-2015)
Chambers USA, Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Intellectual Property) (2007-2015) (band 1)
Chambers' commentary and quotes from clients and others:
- 2015 – "well versed in post-grant proceedings"
- 2014 - "Praised by sources as a ‘master prosecution strategist.'"
- 2013 - "Recognized for the high quality of his advice"
- 2012 - "Clients feel at ease"
- 2011 - "Market sources are full of admiration for Kevin Laurence, who impresses with his record in building patent portfolios. He has developed a particular niche in reexamination work."
- 2010 - "Renowned as 'a talented attorney who understands the intricacies of business' he excels in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, chemicals and life sciences fields."
- 2009 - "gets high marks for expertise and client-care"
- 2008 - "He is 'very easy to work with,' thanks to his broad experience and 'keen understanding of clients' wants and needs.'"
- 2007 - "has developed an admirable reputation. Clients were especially impressed with his global outlook and strategy-making talents, and appreciated his close relationship with patent examiners and supervisors."
Managing Intellectual Property magazine, named an "IP Star" (2013-2015)
Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 (2002-2015)