John Sipos is a registered patent agent in the firm’s Mechanical Patent Prosecution practice group. His focus is reviewing the firm’s allowed patent applications prior to their issuance. He reviews the prosecution history of files to ensure their high quality and completeness. Mr. Sipos corrects any defects by following up with examiners at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) with interviews, amendments and petitions.
Prior to joining the firm in 2008, Mr. Sipos served 36 years at the USPTO as an Expert Primary Examiner and Supervisory Patent Examiner. He was recognized as an Expert Examiner in 1983 in the packaging art and subsequently supervised examiners in the packaging art as well as in a range of other manufacturing technologies.
Throughout his career Mr. Sipos was assigned to several areas within the USPTO outside of patent examination Technology Centers. In the Office of Patent Classification, he established and developed the class schedule and classification definitions for the packaging art. In the Office of Petitions he addressed various issues and petitions from applicants regarding prosecution problems. In the office of Application Assistance Unit he provided applicants with assistance regarding pre-examination and post-examination questions.
During his career at the USPTO, Mr. Sipos was recognized with the Distinguished USPTO Service Award by the American Intellectual Property Law Association and given the United States Department of Commerce Bronze Medal as well as numerous Special Achievement Awards and Special Outstanding Awards.
Mr. Sipos’ extensive patent examination knowledge and insider’s perspective of the USPTO ensures a thorough review of the firm’s allowed cases to assure that each patent application is of the highest quality.
- City College of New York (B.A.)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Distinguished USPTO Service Award by the American Intellectual Property Law Association (1992)
- United Sates Department of Commerce Bronze Medal (1994)
- USPTO Recognition as Expert in the Package Making art (1983)
- USPTO Annual Special Achievement Awards (1974-2000)
- USPTO Annual Outstanding Performance Rating (1979-2000)