James (Jim) J. Kelly, Ph.D., is an attorney in the firm's Chemical Patent Prosecution and Patent Interferences practice groups. With a doctorate in chemistry, Dr. Kelly represents a broad range of foreign and domestic clients in the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device manufacturing industries in both patent prosecution and interference matters.
Taking a proactive approach, Dr. Kelly works closely with his clients to identify intellectual property that will help them achieve their business goals and position them for success in the future. Additionally, he counsels his clients on patent portfolio development and protection strategies.
Dr. Kelly handles claims under 35 USC § 135 and civil actions under 35 USC § 146. His blend of deep technical knowledge, business acumen, legal skill and long-term relationships with United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Patent Examiners contribute to his success in obtaining patents and resolving interference disputes. Dr. Kelly represents clients before the USPTO, at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and in district courts.
While obtaining his Ph.D. in chemistry, Dr. Kelly studied DNA and RNA recognition by synthetic molecules under the direction of Professor Peter B. Dervan.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D.)
- California Institute of Technology (Ph.D.)
- Cornell University (B.A., with honors)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Virginia Bar Association