USPTO New Rules of Practice for Ex Parte Appeals: Change and Simplification for 2012
On January 23, 2012 new rules of practice for ex parte appeals before the Board of Patent Appeals & Interferences (BPAI) become effective. The new rules introduce helpful simplifications relative to existing practice and provide for enhanced procedural monitoring to reduce unnecessary appeals. These simplifications and controls will become effective in a matter of weeks; get the knowledge you need for the new year.
Please join Scott McKeown and Lee Barrett of Oblon Spivak for a discussion of these key ex parte appeal developments.
Topics to be covered include:
- New petition practice to toll Reply Briefing deadlines
- Simplification of brief formatting and required appendices
- New default practices and assumptions
- Guidelines for identifying "new rejections"
- New jurisdictional timing
- Elimination of examiner responsibilities
Our attorneys are available to provide insight and analysis on the major IP topics making the news today. To speak with one of our attorneys, journalists should contact:
Sarah Fougere, Marketing and PR Operations Manager