Marketing & Business Development Manager
Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P. in Alexandria Virginia, seeks an energetic, creative, and tech savvy Marketing and Business Development Manager to support the firm’s marketing and business development efforts and to manage the firm’s brand. The Marketing and Business Development Manager will work with attorneys to implement the firm’s business development, marketing, and communications plans. The Marketing and Business Development Manager will manage day-to-day activities for a wide-range of business and client development activities, projects, and firm-hosted events and seminars.
This is a position of significant responsibility and autonomy, which requires a great deal of independent judgment, strategic and critical thinking as well as a polished and diplomatic manner, as well as the ability to function effectively at all levels of interaction. This is a highly visible position within the firm and this individual will report to the Chief Operating Officer and provide guidance, support, and daily oversight to the Marketing Assistant. The Marketing and Business Development Manager will:
- Support lawyers and practice heads in their business development and marketing efforts including thought leadership, strategy, research, RFP responses/pitches/proposals, survey and directory submissions, market positioning programs including advertising, events and sponsorships, customized materials and print and electronic communications.
- Provide strategic guidance and proactive recommendations to enhance the visibility of the attorneys and the firm in local, regional, global and industry platforms, including speaking engagements, writing opportunities and other brand-building initiatives.
- Provide proactive ideas to enhance the strategic market positioning and messaging of practice groups and create content for oblon.com and other social and online platforms.
- Manage and coordinate external firm publication placements to include drafting press releases, coordinating relevant communication projects such as email alerts and other like communication opportunities.
- Manage the design, content and production of all internal and external collateral (print and electronic).
- Build relationships and liaise with key media contacts, including generating and fielding media inquiries and collaborating with appropriate members of the firm for preparing responses.
- Develop strong processes and follow-up procedures for drafting submissions and nominations/rankings for industry publications.
- Assist with additional marketing and other firm projects as needed.
- Proven experience in all aspects of developing and managing marketing strategies and activities
- Demonstrated track record with both print and digital media and in identifying speaking/publishing opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to take a proactive approach to marketing and media relations, utilizing strategy, planning, and execution skills
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision
- Effective interpersonal and team working skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, adapt to shifting deadlines and work well under pressure
- Understanding of legal and business concepts or the ability to learn them quickly
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and with web interfaces; facility with graphics applications experience a plus.
Required Experience: 5+ years’ experience working with partners/senior executives in a professional services firm or in a marketing agency environment. Prior experience in law firm marketing required. Business, marketing or communications related degree is preferred.View Less