Brian Darville, senior counsel in the firm's Trademark & Designs practice group, has several decades of litigation experience in federal courts throughout the U.S. and decades of experience handling intellectual property protection for trademarks and copyrights both in the U.S. and internationally. Mr. Darville provides comprehensive trademark, unfair competition, copyright, business, and e-commerce legal services to his clients throughout the United States and abroad. His extensive intellectual property, e-commerce and litigation experience enables him to protect and enforce his clients’ rights efficiently achieving their desired results on a cost-effective basis.
Mr. Darville has extensive experience in the areas of trademark, unfair competition and copyright, appearing before administrative tribunals and federal courts throughout the country. His trademark and copyright litigation experience includes the consumer products, automotive products, fashion, publishing, financial, and construction materials industries. He has litigated several domain name disputes under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and has handled numerous opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”). Mr. Darville has prosecuted and defended numerous copyright infringement disputes in courts throughout the U.S. He counsels companies regarding the use of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to remove infringing content from web sites or to disable web sites posting or streaming infringing content online.
Mr. Darville also manages the global trademark portfolio for several clients. He is experienced in all aspects of trademark protection, including clearance opinions, prosecution and maintenance of trademarks in the U.S. and abroad. He counsels clients in all aspects of trademark and copyright law, ecommerce, licensing and litigation.
- University of Virginia (J.D.)
- George Washington University Law School (LL.M., highest honors)
- Patent & Intellectual Property Law
- University of Virginia (B.A.)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Board of Directors, 2009-2012
- Chair, Trademark Law Committee, 2005-2007
- Vice Chair, Trademark Law Committee, 2004-2005
- Chair, Trademark Internet/Cyberspace Committee, 2002-2004
- Vice Chair, Trademark Internet/Cyberspace Committee, 2001-2002
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Federal Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Membership Committee, Law Firm Subcommittee, 2007-2009
- Editorial Board Member, The Trademark Reporter, 2002-2003
- Internet Law & Business
- Trademark Editor, 2004-Present
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia
- Board of Directors, 2006-2008
- Licensing Executives Society